Wednesday, April 16, 2014

What struck this memory today?

Believe it or not, I have a hard time writing. I find it to be a challenge and time taking. I question the benefit and struggle most times to find the words that are adequate enough to convey where I am, what I want to share, or to teach what others may want/need to know.
I want to preface this post by admitting that writing is hard.

With that being said, I want to share with you something I remembered today from treatment. The foundational part of homework I had while in treatment was to write. (Did you see that one coming!?!) One of the first things we needed to do was to write our life story; what life was like as a child, what we could remember, what our 'favorites' were and ultimately how we had gotten to know ED.....how we had gotten to the point where we were all there in treatment. It was an opportunity to be open, frightenly honest, blatantly candid, to open up every can of worms we had crossed paths with on our lives journey thus far.
After our story was written, we would share it with our therapist. We would review the contents together in a session before we would have to share it in group. In group, we would read our story, then leave ourselves vulnerable to the comments and questions of others in group. Thinking back on it now, I can reflect on how insurmountable writing my story seemed. In fact, I feel as though I may have "copped-out" on it, only because I ended up cutting and pasting my journal to come up with my story. I vaguely remember sharing it in group, being utterly petrified of what others would think of me (although I hardly knew any of them) how they would feel about me, what they would say or how they would react. I would later come to understand that most all of us would have similar themes in our live stories that had led us to be together at that moment in time.
What struck this memory today?
I've been asked to re-visit some of my life history. I recently had a counseling session with my ex-husband. I walked in hoping to help my ex-husband gain closure. I walked out with the homework assignment to simply list barriers or hurts that we still had, that kept us from having a healthy relationship. Don't misunderstand. We have been very amicable during our 4 years of divorce. And while I have believed that I had somehow forgiven and moved on, I am now having to face the possibility that I haven't. I am open to this suggestion because I know I cannot entirely trust myself, although that story is for another post. I try to calm myself by trying to remember that I am not to list every little minor and major detail of what or how things went awry. I am not to play judge and jury to my list. I am not to decide what happens as a result of my list. I am to merely list barrier and hurts. That is all. Keep it simple. Will part B) and part C) or part D) happen? I'm sure it will. My part (for now) is part A. I will admit that I am in fear of the can of worms this assignment will cause me to open. Be still my heart......for now its only part A.
I am sure that it is by no mistake that this homework comes to me at the same time we contemplate the Easter Holiday that takes place this weekend. The holiday that helps Heavenly Fathers fallible children remember to stop and look inside empty Easter eggs, to remember the empty tomb. The holiday that helps us remember that Spring is a time for new beginnings. The holiday that teaches hope.

No comments: