Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Sinking of the Titanic (Part 1)

Wednesday was April 15th. I was taking a personal day, trying to recover from being sick, having gotten an IV just the day before.

Sometimes I like to pretend I'm a history buff. April 15th, not just tax day but the anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. I was hanging out on the couch, wanting to 'brush up' on my history buff wannabe side. I haven't seen a good documentary on the Titanic in awhile. Sure enough, Netflix didn't disappoint.

The one I watched was "Titanic's Final Mystery." It was done by the Smithsonian Channel.  It was about an hour and a half on the basics of the tragedy of the Titanic, much of what I heard of before. But this one added a twist. They began to talk about the principle of refraction on the water, the mirage effect, and how light waves bend in the atmosphere. The theory behind this is because of all these put together, the crew on board the Titanic were deceived by the elements and were not able to see the fatal iceberg which under normal circumstances, they could seen 30 minutes in advance. Instead because of the deception of their own eyes, had only seconds to warn the others.
This was an excellent point of helping me see, from a different perspective how our own eyes, brains sensory systems can betray us. I've heard people say that they have to see it to believe it. So what happens when what we see, is not the truth!?!

The scientist that they followed ended with this conclusion:
"Its almost as though Titanic sank in a killing zone of nature where all the very dangerous elements combined to make it fatal."

We've been taught that it is because of the Fall of Adam and the following circumstances where we have to overcome the natural man. Perhaps overcoming the natural man is more than overcoming sin or overcoming weakness. Perhaps it is ability to see what is true regardless of what our fallible, imperfect and subjective minds and eyes can see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, all is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that's genuinely good, keep up
writing.

My web site; generateur de code psn